Pictures from my phone of interesting plants I have found:
These purple flowers grow on a vine and are blooming currently. I also spotted these in Orlando and any help figuring out what they are would be greatly appreciated. I want these in my yard if they are not invasive/chokers.
My neighbor has these gigantic pitcher plants which also grow on a vine. I always seem to kill pitcher plants which are native to Florida. These do not seem to be a native species, but are amazing none the less.
I found these flowers when I was hiking in Sanibel Island. They grow in wetland areas and look like a grass. I could not find them on the wetland plants list and don't know what they are called.
I never knew artichokes bloom. I am assuming they open up like this in the Florida heat and are unable to be grown here for eating, since that is what happens to brussel sprouts. Exposure to severe heat and sunshine keeps a lot of things from forming a heart. (Jordan)
P.S.-Anonymous, I appreciate your offers but I think I will pass on that. I also appreciate the entertainment.
5 comments:
When I first read that I thought you were actually referring to my failed attempt at growing brussels sprouts. But on second glance, I believe you were actually referring to me. So harsh, especially after such a lovely weekend.
Passiflora incarnata (passion flower)- it's native and has edible fruit.
Passionflowers! Love them. Host plants to Gulf Fritillary and Zebra Longwing butterflies.
The second is a Pipevine, I believe, which is host to the beautiful Pipevine Swallowtail.
Sweet now I just need a yard to put these things in!
Katie I am in love with your yard and it is nice you own something you can do with it what you want. owning a house has it downsides too but I want one.
Le sigh. I liked what you said about 27-Old enough to know better, young enough to not care.
Thanks! I'm in love with it too. It's pretty much the biggest reason I bought that house over any others I was looking at. I'm very fortunate to have it, and I never forget that.
Post a Comment