I decided to call in sick yesterday because it was just too nice outside to work. I needed a mental health day for sure and rarely get sick so it felt deserved.
Since I called in due to the weather I thought it would be a shame to waste it inside and wanted to take the whole day to be outside. I went to the St. Augustine Beach Farmer's Market and then decided I wanted to explore a state park in the area. I chose to go to Washington Oaks since it is a coastal hardwood hammock that used to be a private residence before it was donated to the state.
Every time I go to a state park that used to be a private residence I think how insane it must have been to live without any one around in such an amazing natural setting. I don't think I would ever donate Blue Springs to the state. I would selfishly swim alone with the manatees every winter and relish in the relief from the heat every summer.
Blue Springs every year on my birthday
Could you imagine this being your backyard at Washington Oaks?
nice spot for a picnic
I wish I had the courage to ask strangers for their portrait. I can talk to a stranger no problem but when it comes to taking their picture I start feeling like a creep. There were people picnicking and an old man throwing a cast net that would have been interesting to photograph.
One of the leading Right Whale experts stays with my boyfriend's Aunt and Uncle in Summer Haven every year to track the whales' migration. Last year there were 5 new females with calves spotted off the Florida coast (which is unheard of apparently) It will be interesting to hear if they show up again this year.
Beautiful oak hammock everywhere
I should have sat here for hours but I didn't unfortunately
Pretty nice sick day. But of course I woke up this morning feeling like crap! Good thing my office is in my house wearing my pajamas!
4 comments:
Oh man, I've always wanted to go to Washington Oaks. I'll let you know if I ever call in sick and head up there. I tend to get sick a lot. Like today. Heading up to SC to hunt ;)
Very nice sick day indeed. The last time I called off sick I...on second thought, nobody wants to hear that. Have a wonderful weekend lady!
Dear lord! Do you have any idea how badly I don't want to be sitting at my desk right now! This is not helping. Katy, we do want to hear that. Very much so. Let's call off sick and hop on a plane to somewhere far away.
The manatee pic is very cool. And the creeping oak tree is the best.
Post a Comment